The Philippine air is becoming more pollute each year and the public found a way to battle it with style. We adapted other countries’ flu masks and decorated it with fancy ornaments and prints that suits our different personalities. Its primary uses are against air pollution, avoiding airborne bacteria (and hopefully strong viruses), prevent dust entering our facial pores, and to make sure we’re not infecting anyone.
Aside these primary uses, there are still plenty unthinkable ways to use a flu mask. Let’s start counting.
- Style – yes, i get it. This one isn’t new. I’m sure if you don’t belong in the examples above, you’ll probably land here. You’re the type of flu mask user because of the style. You’re not really sick, you just to wear it for fashion.
- Strengthen your lungs – I bet you didn’t see this one comin’. Wearing masks especially while doing exercise strengthens our lungs. Our lungs gradually learn to use air efficiently through practice. Like taking a deep breath before submerging to the water. The mask minimizes the air intake of the lungs which helps our lungs capacity to hold breath.
- Smile and laugh freely – Stereotypes of the public think you’re crazy for smiling and laughing in front of your phone. Wellp, not anymore.
- Speak freely and it wasn’t you – I’ve done this a few times and never get caught. It’s in my personality to say thing straight to anyone but it’s safer now.
- Saves you from being recognized – “feel like a ninja”. Walk in and walk out of the party unrecognized. A flu mask is still a type of mask to covers the face and that includes your identity.
- Snore suppressor – more like saliva catcher. When you’re too tired from work, it’s not easy to stay awake on your journey home. Most workers take a nap on the bus and when the sleep gets deeper, the snore gets louder. your fancy flu-mask doesn’t really stop you from snoring but it lessens the sound.
- Sensation concealment – Of course when you cover your face, you cover your expressions. Tough times requires your game face but when you can’t find the ability to do the serious look, you just need something to cover it up.
- (BONUS!) Slip away from being reprimanded – This just happened to me earlier. I really don’t want to get scolded by my boss in the office. I’m sick and required to wear my flu mask everyday. And when I’m about to get castigated, “Sorry boss, it seems I lost my flu mask somewhere” and I promise you, he doesn’t want to breathe air coming out of your lungs so the conversation will be over in less than a minute.
-By “Snow White”