But the question is, why do people still smoke? Are news and warnings about the effects of smoking not enough? Well, there’s nothing we can do about individuals who’s not willing to change their bad habits.
Moreover, smokers are active in participating to global pollution. Why? Well, it’s very evident. The smoke which cigarettes produce pollutes the air. Let me tell you some hazardous information about smoking.
- Statistics show that seven out of ten teenagers (13-19) smoke every day.
- Sixty five percent (65%) of the male population are engaged in tobacco consumption.
- Lung failure is the fourth cause of morality in the population.
- 12% of the pollutants come from nicotine, which is the main ingredient of cigarettes.
- 3 out of 10 infants die due to their mother’s excessive smoking.
- A piece of cigarette consumed means seven seconds deduction to your lifespan.
- There has been a greater effect of smoke to second-hand smokers than the ones who smoke.
- Secondhand smoke contains over 4,000 chemicals– 200 are poison and at least 69 cause cancer and other diseases.
“Look how they react when they breathe in the LUNGS CIGARETTE SMOKE!”
These are only few facts about smoking. But what is the main reason behind these scenarios?
Here are some of the main reasons why teenagers and adults smoke.
- For socialization. They want to become a member of the society wherein everybody smokes. In fraternities, sororities, gangs and other unparalleled groups. Smoking also create bonds with other people who they share “smoking sessions” with.
- For experience. They smoke in order for them to experience it. If they are experienced, they’re “in” Little did they know, addiction is the adverse effect of nicotine. Also, common nicotine withdrawal symptoms can occur when you stop smoking and include dizziness, anxiety, depression, or trouble sleeping, among others.
- For the macho effect. They believe that if they smoke, they’ll look handsome. Their sex appeal will boost up. They’ll look very masculine and fierce which is certainly not.
- For pleasure and pastime. They use this for relieving the tension or anxiety they feel. Depression also triggers smoking. But some time, they just smoke because this has been part of their routine-past time. Some smoke after every meal.
Those are only a few reasons why many practice smoking. But for those of you who want to enjoy life at its best, never ever dare smoking. For the moment you join them smoke, you’re already counting your remaining days on earth.
To the smokers, quit smoking before it’s too late. There are a lot of advantages when you quit like having a healthier lifestyle and/or making your friends and family protected from second-hand smoking. Whatever your reason is, thinking carefully about your motivation and keeping a reminder in key places can really be helpful for keeping you going through the tough times.